Question: 1. Your favourite vintages of Champagne in this century?
Your Champagne recommendations from the BC Liquor inventory:
2. To be cellared for a long time for a very special milestone occasion
3. For New Year’s Eve to be shared with the family, and
4. To be gifted to the festive season gathering hosts
Answer: Four specific key questions all on Champagne by you Jenny C. Most topical and well asked. Thanks. Lots of current information out there on social media. I admire the thorough most skilled job done by Treve Ring on www.gismondionwine.com with 90 Champagnes reviewed on December 8, 2022. Check it out. Your scribe will try to give some personal guidance to a subjective most difficult question:
1. My favourite is 2008 closely followed by 2002 & 2012. All three produced good balanced bubbles that will age well.
2. Many choices (prefer Magnum size for aging) including my fav of Krug in any vintage and the multi-vintage Grande Cuvee. Also Dom Perignon 2008 or Bollinger La Grande Annee 2012 if you still can find some bottles. New Louis Roederer Collection 242 for $83 is a good value. Special mention to a new exciting listing 398622 just arriving this month Philippe Gonet 2008 (also 2007 arriving) Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs en Magnum $194.99 from Le Mesnil Sur Oger (or old vines mainly planted in 1929 in their 2009 Belemnita $279.99). Another Salon?
3. Fresh lively Champagne that currently shows well even in flutes (rather than my preferred tulip shaped) like Piper-Heidsieck Cuvee Brut or Pol Roger Reserve Brut.
4. Lots of wonderful choices for gifts. I would recommend NV Charles Heidsieck Brut regularly $74 on sale (until December 31) for $69 to introduce your host to a beautifully complex drinking treat that adds 50% Reserve wines to the current vintage the results of which is enjoying an expensive full white Burgundy with bubbles.
Don’t forget that private stores have other interesting selections not carried by the BCLDB. Check out Marquis Wine Cellars for an outstanding emphasis on Grower Champagnes including newly arrived Paul Bara 2014 (variable vintage) Grand Millesime $99.91.
You might also like: